They Say You Will Loose Your Mind ....

The greatest greeting card I ever received was from my sister. It was my freshmen year of college and my sister sent me a card with an old-fashion, black-and-white photograph of four elderly women having a tea party dressed as witches.  There was also a quote from Albert Camus that said something to effect of: "They say you will loose your mind as you grow old. What they don't say is that you won't miss it that much." 

I loved that card. My sister ID each of the batty, old, tea-drinking witches as a member of our family: her, our Mom and Dad and me. I loved that Camus' quote, which I wrote everywhere I got a chance. I kept mementos from college but I don't know what I did to that card, which disappoints me greatly.  

I have never forgotten it though, and since entering my 40s, Camus' words ring truer than they ever did before. I can personally attest to a growing number of instances where I felt I was probably loosing my marbles and that fact didn't really cause me much concern. 

I've verbally expressed my disappointment in the cereal aisle when Smith's doesn't have my favorite brand and flavor of granola, I constantly chat to my dog and have looked up to see someone looking at me with odd expressions on their faces. I don't enjoy exercising unless I am listening to music and if it is a song I particularly enjoy I will go full throttle on the elliptical machine or stationary bike. I've had someone comment to me about my speed on the elliptical machine at the Y after sprinting to Queen's We Will Rock You. I also have an odd habit of saving every greeting card I receive. Ironically, the one I really love is the one I no longer own. Further proof that I just might be loosing my marbles. 

Note: My sister sent me more than one great card while at college. The one in the photo above was for Valentine's Day, which seems appropriate to share since Valentine's Day is Tuesday. Plus, she would write  nicknames for me on all the card's envelopes. Sometimes I do curious, questionable stuff, but I am smart enough to hold on to a few of her cards and envelopes. I am also sharp enough to know that I have a really cool sister.

Comments

Popular Posts