The adventures in home ownership



Homeownership is an adventure; a real thrill ride that will keep you guessing about what lies behind the next corner or further down the road. For instance, earlier this month, one of the pump grinders stopped working in my neighborhood, forcing a few unlucky residents, myself included, to discontinue using any toilet or drain. In other words, we were exiled from our homes. My parents generously invited my dog and I to use their house. My dog, Oli, couldn’t have been happier. On our second night, he pranced down the hallway like a kid giddy for a sleepover. Not that I blame him; my parents’ house offers a lot of perks. Their kitchen is enormous compared to mine. My mother has a beautiful stove and a giant island that makes cooking dinner really lovely. Plus, they have a fenced backyard that is a wonderland for my dog. And a vegetable garden, which can be a real lifesaver when it is around 8:30 p.m. and you still haven't made dinner. Our first night over, I went to where my mother's kale plants grow and in pitch blackness began stripping kale leaves like some kind of nocturnal Peter Rabbit. After dinner, I inflated an air mattress to sleep on. It would slightly deflate during the night and I'd wake up in the middle of the night feeling like a hotdog tightly encased in its bun. The exile did not last long; it was only two nights. Still, it was lovely to be allowed to return home. But I continue to think about all those perks - namely that fenced backyard and Oli's exuberant joy. It it is making me think maybe I need to make a real sharp turn in my homeownership journey and possibly take it to a new location - namely a house with a backyard. 

The picture above is Oli at my parent's home ... in his favorite spot and honestly in his favorite state. 

Comments

Popular Posts